Making a plan

Sunday

We all have different ways of working - some of us like to plan, some of us like to wing it. For last year's NaNoWriMo I had an intro, and the conviction that I wanted to story to be told from the point of view of a jar of jam in a cute country cafe. I had no clue where the story would go, or even who the characters were, so I just made it up as I went along. When I got stuck, I went to my partner for help and filled a space on a wall at home with yellow post-its with a couple of words each - "sheep", "man falls from sky", things like that. It was fascinating letting the story take on a life of it's own, back tracking every now and then to shape my characters.

This year, I'm taking a different tack - I'm planning the story in the hope that I won't get stuck, because this year I don't have time to get stuck, I have too much else going on in my life to spend days agonising over my next step. I think the best way to start is the way I plan most projects - with a blank A1 piece of paper propped up on my artist's easel, as I always feel like I need loads of space to just let my ideas run free. So that's my task for this week: plan and prepare. I'll let you know how it goes!

How are you planning for NaNoWriMo? Or are you just winging it? Tell me about it in the comments!
 

Popular Posts