I am what I eat - Week 6

Monday

I realise this post is a wee bit late, but it's like that for a reason I promise... I delayed writing about week six because I went back to see my Naturopath, Anya Nidd, on Friday to check in and see how things were going.
And things are going great! It's cool to see the changes slowly happening over the course of a few weeks, but it's particularly satisfying to go back to Anya and tell her all about the last six weeks, including the slip ups and the hard bits, and know that I'm doing things right and also that there is more I can do.
I felt like a different person on that second visit, like someone who had complete control of their health and skin. No longer do I moan about the state of my skin because, even though the majority of the time now it looks amazing, if it does look bad I know it's my own fault for indulging in too much sugar and fatty processed food. I also feel so much stronger in both mind and body. Although there have been times when I have had a taste of chocolate and it's taken me a couple of days of indulging (and nasty red pimples) to break the habit again, I've discovered an amazing willpower I never knew I had. I have stubbornly stuck to this new regime and the slips ups are becoming less and less because I'm now running on facts, not theories.
Before, in regards to my skin, I was bombarded by everyone else's theories on why I kept having breakouts in my twenties. Too much chocolate, too much stress, not enough sleep, not enough water, using the wrong products. But as much as I tried to turn those things around, nothing gave me results because I never actually knew the root cause of it.
Now I know I was extremely deficient in zinc, and dairy products, sugar and processed food were causing my breakouts. So now we never buy milk, barely eat cheese, my snacks consist of fruit, rice crackers and hummus, my meals are full of good whole foods and I take a zinc supplement.
Sounds easy, but it's been a commitment and a half requiring a lot of willpower and patience, which has paid off. I now believe that going off meat was my body's way of telling me it was time to do something drastic about my skin, energy levels, immune system and general health. So thanks body. xo
 

Popular Posts