Why, oh why, did they change the ending? (spoiler alert)

Thursday

My sister warned me not to watch it. She told me I would be disappointed by the ending. But I did watch it. And I was sorely disappointed by the ending.

My Sister's Keeper. A beautiful, heart-wrenching book that brings tears to your eyes with almost every page.

Those who have not read the book but have seen the movie say "oh, it's so sad, I cried at the end". But, for those of us who have read the book and then watched the movie, it's more like, "why did they change the ending?! They made it so predictable!"

Although I've only read two of Jodi Picoult's books, I think I can safely say that they are anything but predictable. But good old Hollywood goes and turns it into a heart-wrenching sob story with the most predicable ending: the girl with cancer dies. THAT'S NOT THE STORY!

Jodi Picoult's ending (I won't ruin it for you, don't worry) was beautiful. Don't get me wrong, it was still awful and sad, but in a way it just seemed right.

One good thing I will say for the movie is the actors were great. Especially Abigail Breslin who played Anna - She is the most beautiful kid and I think she has a bright future - and Cameron Diaz who played Sara. I'm not the biggest fan of Cameron, I just don't find her funny. But as a drama actress, she was just brilliant.

So who has read the book, seen the movie, or both? What are your thoughts?
 

Popular Posts