Oh God... more Justin Bieber?

Sunday

I'm not really a big believer in religion. I'm baptised and I go to church on Christmas Eve every year because I find a sense of peace and family there, but I don't believe in worshipping a God. I believe that religion, God and church mean different things to different people and we should all respect that, so please do not take this post and think I'm some sort of atheist.

I'm just a Bieber hater.

I read today that a book is being written about Justin Bieber and his faith. He's not even getting interviewed for the book, it's just based on his references to christianity he has made in some interviews.

Don't even get me started on teen idols... okay do... Teenagers have had idols in celebrity form for decades now, starting with Elvis and The Beatles all the way through to the Justin Bieber era. When I was a teenager, we had The Spice Girls and Britney Spears, and I will admit that they were pretty tacky as most teen idols are these days (just to clarify, I'm a HUGE Beatles fan, but I think they're a class apart from modern musicians), but we also had people like Christina Aguilera who can actually sing and is still going today.

It seems to me that, since Elvis, teen idols have been getting progressively worse, and I for one can't stand the sight of thousands of screaming teenage girls watching a BOY prance around on stage flashing a cute smile with no instrument in hand.

I'm not making fun of Justin's faith, believe me, I simply think it's a bit of a tacky move for the publisher, Worthy Publishing. It looks to me like a way of getting young people interested in religion and, as a lot of them pretty much worship Bieber anyway, what better way to do it than to highlight his faith in a book?

So what do you think, is this book going to change the way teenagers look at religion? And is that a good or bad thing?
 

Popular Posts